Seller Tips: How Is the Insulation in Your Charlotte Home?
Now that fall is almost behind us, it’s a good time to get up in the attic and assess your insulation. There may well be peaks and valleys in it that are less than ideal for keeping your Charlotte home comfortable and energy-efficient, especially if it’s been a while since your insulation was installed.
Don’t worry–it’s not a daunting task; insulation can easily be blown in over what you already have. Blown-in cellulose insulation is a good option because it is also considered a “green” product, is highly effective and is less costly than fiberglass. Here are a few benefits to adding cellulose insulation to your existing insulation in your home:
- Makes your home quieter. Insulation affords soundproofing benefits.
- Pest Control. Now you can get cellulose insulation that is also treated with boric acid, a safe insecticide that is effective against both types of termites and cockroaches.
- Prevents mold. Boric acid is also effective against mold and mildew. This prevention is continuous after installation.
- Recycle while you insulate. As they say, if you don’t buy recycled, you’re not recycling. Cellulose insulation is made from recycled paper and treated with a flame retardant for safety.
- Decreases air infiltration. Cellulose insulation outperforms fiberglass.
- Saves money. Of course, the main reason to insulate is to reduce the cost of heating and cooling your Charlotte home.
- Increases comfort. You’ll be surprised at how snug your home feels after adding to your insulation.
- Earns a tax credit. (Saved the best for last!) Note, this is not just a deduction. A tax credit is directly applied to the amount of tax you owe. This credit is equal to 10 percent of the insulation cost (labor is not included), with a cap of $500. This incentive expires at the end of 2011.
Added insulation is also a good selling point in these competitive times that is often overlooked as a ‘bonus.‘ Added insulation will continue to be a good investment in the future with increasing energy costs.
Looking for a home that’s already well insulated? I can help you find it. Contact me today at (704) 491-3310 or Broker@TheCharlotteScoop.com.