Anson County, once one of the largest counties in North Carolina, was carved from Bladen County in 1750. Anson County’s namesake, Lord George Anson, was a British admiral. The first courthouse was built of logs and situated right on the bank of the Pee Dee River in Mount Pleasant.
Anson County is a vastly rural area with 536 square miles and a population of 25,056 (2009 Census). Wadesboro is the county seat of Anson County North Carolina and is conveniently located approximately one hour from Charlotte (50 miles), just over two hours from Raleigh (115 miles) and a quick two hours from Greensboro (100 miles).