Carmel Middle School | A NC School of Distinction
Having two boys who attended this premier Charlotte middle school, I have first-hand knowledge of the superior educational qualities that the staff and administration offer the students who attend Carmel Middle School. From a wonderful music program to elite sports teams to academics and incredible familial support, this South Charlotte middle school sets the bar!
CARMEL MIDDLE SCHOOL
Principal: Marc Angerer
Address: 5001 Camilla Drive
Charlotte, NC 28226
School Website: http://schools.cms.k12.nc.us/carmelMS/Pages/Default.aspx
Carmel Middle School, a sixth, seventh and eighth grade school, recognizes that middle school students have special intellectual, physical, social and academic, emotional needs. To meet these needs, the help of the entire school community is solicited.
High expectations are set and teachers and staff work closely with parents to ensure these needs are met in a safe and orderly environment. Utilizing the team approach, Carmel students experience the feeling of belonging to a smaller group within the school population, one which has common goals and whose members are supportive of one another. There is a commitment to a shared mission at Carmel with high expectations set for all students in a safe and orderly environment.
Carmel provides for the academic needs of all students by offering challenging academic courses and a wide variety of elective courses. The school offers a variety of extracurricular opportunities. The Carmel staff, students and parents truly believe that Together Each Accomplishes More (TEAM).
The following facts describe Carmel Middle School and the learning environment provided to our students:
- A NC School of Distinction (several years running).
- Named a ”SCHOOL TO WATCH” by the North Carolina Middle School Association in 2005
- Ten years of high growth (exemplary status)
- Met Adequate Yearly Progress goals for 32 of 33 subgroups
- 90% of students at or above grade level in reading and math
- Over 831 students enrolled in Language Arts Scholars classes: 866 enrolled in Math Scholars classes
- English as a Second Language Program; Exceptional Children’s program
- Low student/teacher ratio
- Over 90 total staff: 58 classroom teachers, one media specialist, one media assistant, one technology facilitator; one academic facilitator, three grade level counselors, one career development coordinator, two security associates
- 34% of staff with master’s degree or higher
- 12 National Board Certified teachers
- 99% of students have scored at/above grade level in Algebra I and Geometry for the last six years
- One counselor and one administrator per grade level
- 98.4% on Safe Schools Audits
- Active PTSA Board (over 40 members) and School Leadership team (18 committee members)
- A high level of parent participation adds to Carmel’s success. Parents regularly log over 1400 hours in various volunteer opportunities
- Nationally Certified AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) Program. 45 students are currently enrolled
- Home-School communications: Carmel website is updated weekly, monthly team and PTSA newsletters
- Students participate in academic extracurricular activities such as National Junior Honor Society, Odyssey of the Mind, Spelling Bee, Geography Bee, NAL, Honors Band and Orchestra, Shakespeare Recitation, Chess, Science Olympiad, MATHCOUNTS, Algebra team, Geometry Team and the Battle of the Books.
- Monthly family involvement events including Family Night, PTSA meetings, AVID parent meetings and Parent seminars
- Curriculum night for the parents
- Student Publications including Paw Prints, Carmel’s literary magazine, Cougar Prints, Carmel’s newspaper and the yearbook
- Quality intramural and Physical Education programs
- Technology: two keyboarding labs, a research/resource computer lab, 15 Media Center computers, a communication arts computer lab, four mobile computer labs with wireless internet, at least one internet accessible computer in each classroom
- Active Athletic Program (golf, football, softball, volleyball, basketball, soccer, track, baseball and cheerleading) for 7th and 8th grade students
- Open door policy
If you’re searching for homes for sale in the Carmel Middle School zone, contact Debe @ (704) 491-3310 or email Broker@TheCharlotteScoop.com