Five Easy Steps to Hiring the Best Contractor for Your Charlotte Real Estate Project
Whether you need a contractor for a minor plumbing project or a major project like a room addition, it’s important to evaluate potential contractors before hiring them. Here are 5 easy steps to finding the best contractor for your Charlotte real estate project:
1. Get multiple quotes. Even in emergency situations, such as a toilet overflowing onto your hardwoods in the living room, take the time to get 2 or 3 estimates. Haste can cost a lot more than the hardwood replacement in your Charlotte real estate.
2. Check references. Ask the contractors who you interview for a few customer references. Talk with the former clients of the contractor you’re considering. Ask what it was like working with the contractor. Two of great questions to ask are:
What was your favorite thing about the contractor?
What was your least favorite thing about the contractor?
3. Call the insurance and licensing board. Confirm that the contractor you’re thinking about hiring has adequate and current liability coverage and a current license. Just asking the contractor is not sufficient.
4. Search for complaints. Search online on the company name plus the word “complaints.” It’s often surprising what you’ll find. Also, check with the Better Business Bureau to see if any complaints have been registered with them and confirm their current grade with the BBB.
5. Negotiate a maximum hourly rate. If the job goes quickly, you won’t pay what could be a higher estimate.
I know it’s easier to just hire the first contractor who returns your call. Although it speaks volumes when the contractor promptly returns your call, don’t hire the first one who does! Taking the easy way out can cost you hours, days or weeks of frustration and hundreds of dollars.
Need the name of a professional contractor for your Charlotte real estate project? I’ve worked with several great contractors and would be happy to give you some recommendations. Give me a call today at (704)491-3310 or email me at Debe@DebeMaxwell.com.