Charlotte NC Soon to be a Tropical Paradise with Chiquita Relocation!
Whoever thought that Charlotte would be considered a ‘tropical paradise?’ Charlotte Chamber of Commerce and Governor Bev Perdue announced that Charlotte’s Top Banana status is now meant literally–not just figuratively as Chiquita has just made a commitment to move its headquarters to the Queen City!
Chiquita’s CEO, Fernando Aguirre stated, “Charlotte provided the most compelling economic opportunity for Chiquita by far and the region is a very attractive region for our employees.”
Chiquita’s $14 million dollar investment will also bring around 400 jobs to the Queen City, with half of that number being new recruits from our area. The move is expected to be nearly complete by mid-summer, 2012. Not only will the administrative offices be moved to Charlotte but, the research and development department will be moved here as well.
Average pay for these positions will be $106,000 annual salary and include executive, management, sales, marketing and IT jobs. The new headquarters will be located above the NASCAR Hall of Fame.
Chiquita CEO Fernando Aguirre conveyed that the business climate, Charlotte Douglas International Airport (one of the highest ranked airports in America) and Charlotte’s quality of life were factors that made Charlotte a convincing ‘sale’ to Chiquita executives.
As an added bonus for the Queen City, Chiquita will also be providing Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools with 15 salad bars in district school cafeterias–a tropical paradise for our community’s children!
Aguirre also tugged at my own heartstrings by saying that, “99% of what we hear on Twitter is positive and of course the Charlotte community was very proactive in Twitter and very positive” – a very progressive company has selected one of the most progressive, high-tech cities in the Nation!
Welcome to Charlotte, Chiquita!
More Charlotte Economic and Jobs News
- In 2010, BAE Systems of Britain, with their United States base is in Arlington, Va., committed to opening a human resources and
finance center in Charlotte, creating 176 new jobs for the area.
- In March, plans to expand the energy sector was supported when Governor Perdue unveiled a major economic investment by Siemens
- The Shaw Group and Areva made major changes and expansions in and around the city.
- In September, ABB announced 100 new jobs coming to Huntersville
- Babcock & Wilcox, the energy engineering company based in Lynchburg, Va., moved its headquarters and added 130 jobs here.
- Celgard Announces Expansion in Charlotte and Concord
- Another Fortune 500 Company, SPX announced plans to expand, creating 180 new jobs in Charlotte NC in the Ballantyne area.
- More uplifting Charlotte economic news came with Toshiba’s announcement: More Energy Jobs Announced by Toshiba
- Charlotte is quietly making changes to ‘roll’ with the economic times, venturing away from financial hub focus yet, supporting our position as the 2nd largest banking hub in the nation.