Stay Safe When Selling Your Charlotte Real Estate
When it comes time to put your home on the market, you need to be prepared for the fact that you’ll be opening up your life to a new world of strangers. While most who tour your home are actually interested in purchasing your Charlotte real estate, there could be a crook masquerading as a potential buyer looking to make a quick score at your open house.
Don’t fall victim to deceptive con artists! Look over the quick tips below to make sure you and your home are safe and protected:
- Hire a licensed, reputable agent. Check with the state to make sure he or she is properly licensed and inquire with the better business bureau to see if there have been any complaints filed.
- Double-check the lockbox. Reputable agents will have procedures in place to make sure your lockbox is properly installed, well secured and that only approved people can access the keys.
- Set up a showing agreement. Only allow people to view your home when a real estate agent is present. Letting random people drop by is a good way to open yourself up to potential criminals. Instead, be sure to have them contact your Charlotte real estate agent to schedule an appointment.
- Secure your valuables. When buyers come to look at your home, they’re going to peek in drawers and closets. Make sure your money, jewelry, guns, financial documents and anything else attractive to thieves are well secured.
- Set your alarm. Create a ‘Realtor® code’ for the agents to use who show your home. Be sure that your agent provides instructions to showing agents to both disarm AND re-arm your alarm system. If you’ve made the investment to protect your family and your property with an alarm system, make sure it’s activated so it can do the job.
There’s no reason to be worried as long as you use common sense and follow these tips.
If you are thinking about selling and want to ensure your Charlotte real estate is in the right hands, please call me at (704) 491-3310 or email me at Debe@DebeMaxwell.com to find out how I can help you get your home sold.