5 Negotiating Tips When Relocating for Your Job and Buying a Home in Charlotte
In today’s economy, many people are relocating to start a new career. While you may be excited about your new job, moving can be an expensive proposition. You may need to sell your current home, buy a home in Charlotte and move everything you own to a new city.
All of those things can potentially be expensive headaches for those relocating to Charlotte–or anywhere for that matter. Fortunately, many employers will help defray the cost of your move if you ask. Even if they don’t lend financial support, you may be able to negotiate a smooth transition in other ways. Here are five tips to help you when considering relocating for your career:
- Negotiate a relocation allowance. Ask about a relocation allowance during the interview. Some companies will already have a set relocation package. Those that don’t have a standard relocation package are often willing to work it into your new salary.
- Ask for a flexible start date. If you need to sell your home in Charlotte, try to negotiate a more flexible start date. You don’t want to be stuck trying to sell a home hundreds of miles away while you’re adjusting to your new work environment. An extra week or two may make all the difference in starting over in your new city.
- Get it in writing. If they offer you relocation benefits, make sure it’s in writing in your final contract.
- Do your research. You need to ensure your new job is worth the move. Your salary needs to be enough to cover the cost of living in your new city. The price of homes, education expenses and other day-to-day costs can vary widely in different areas. We have very few Charlotte relocation clients who are not moving from cities with a higher cost of living but, it’s certainly something to research before making that move to any city.
- Be certain that you can use an agent of your choosing. If you’re moving to a new city, you want someone who will listen to your needs and share extensive knowledge with you. Many relocation companies have exorbitantly high fees to agents with whom they contract and most experienced agents will not work with relocation companies because of this. So, if you’re assigned a relocation agent, oftentimes they are young and inexperienced. Demand to use the agent of your choosing.
If you’re considering a move for your career and are either selling or in the market for a home in Charlotte, please call me at (704) 491-3310 or email me at Debe@DebeMaxwell.com for more information.