Charlotte Home Seller Guide | Top 10 Seller Mistakes in 2013
Remember that the first impression is a lasting one for home buyers and that applies to open houses as well. Properly done open houses have, in the past, brought significant traffic to view new properties on the market. Of late, especially in the Charlotte market, we’re not seeing tremendous turn-out for open houses but, if you and your agent feel that an open house is worthwhile, here are some tips to a successful open house.
1. Working Alone – Without a Professional
I could write a book on this one…and have written numerous articles. Here are a few…
2. Waiting to De-Clutter
Your main goal is to be sure that every square foot of your home measures up to the buyers’ expectations! Removing clutter allows buyers to fully visualize your home without distractions. Remove the clutter and let your home shine!
**Tip for de-cluttering–You are eventually going to have to pack it all up anyway. Why not get a head start AND have your home showing like a gem when you put your home on the market and prepare for an open house?
3. Overpricing Your Home
Again, we’ve seen so many sellers endure the pains of overpricing. Even in a strong market, homes that are overpriced sit. Here is a great article explaining how overpricing can cause havoc to ensue on your wallet!
4. Not Staging Your Home
You don’t have to have a professional stager, although we highly recommend one but, stagers can give you insight that is completely different than decorating/design work. Be prepared! Buyers WILL open your closet doors, your cabinets and your drawers! So, be sure that all storage spaces are clean and orderly.
5. Failing to Disclose
One of the biggest mistakes that sellers make is failure to disclose knowledge or existing issues with regards to the home, the environment or the land. Read this article before you complete your Disclosure.
6. Attempting to Sell a Vacant Home
Don’t forget that the landscaping is the FIRST thing that your potential buyers will see. Be sure to have the flower beds weeded, the lawn trimmed and fresh mulch in the beds. Are the hedges trimmed? Are all of the toys and ‘stuff’ picked up and removed from the yard?
7. Not Adequately Preparing the Exterior
- Has it been freshly painted or power-washed
- Are the windows clean?
- Are the screens in good shape (no holes or spider webs)?
- Is the front door clean and/or freshly painted?
- What about the window trim? Be sure there is no visible wood rot.
- Power-wash the sidewalks. Again, the first impression is the most important one–put your best foot forward!
8. Ewww! What’s that Smell?
Be sure that if you do use strong cleaning solutions, to ventilate the home before your guests arrive. Don’t use scented sprays or plug-ins – simply boil an apple slice and some cinnamon while you’re turning on all of your lights and your home will smell wonderfully!
9. Do You Have Plenty of Reading Materials?
Be sure you have plenty of flyers or brochures for your guests–highlight your home with professional photos and color brochures or flyers so that they will have something to review when they get home from their tours!
10. Not Making Repairs
Bear in mind that when a buyer tours your home and they spot something in ill-repair (that is ‘out in the open’), they then worry that there ‘surely must be major underlying issues this seller hasn’t been taking care of if they don’t even take care of the surface issues!’ It’s true! I’ve heard this many times as I walk buyers through homes that aren’t even in disrepair but, there’s a leaky faucet or a loose cabinet door hinge. Having a pre-inspection can not only save you stress during the buyer’s inspection but, can also garner you a higher dollar for your home. Remember, if the surface looks good, the buyers will assume that you’ve cared for your home.
More Charlotte home seller information -
You may think that there is a lot of information in the links below…and there is! However, we work with a very large number of Charlotte home sellers and write these articles as we come across issues that we see sellers facing. Some are repeat items but, we assure you that if you follow our guidelines to prepare your home for selling, we can help you achieve success in getting your Charlotte home SOLD!
- Two Key Ingredients to Selling Your Charlotte Luxury Home
- Charlotte Area Luxury Home – Staged, Stunning and SOLD!
- 10 Most Common Charlotte Home Seller Mistakes in 2012
- Charlotte Home Seller Tips – Preparing for the Inspection
- Six Staging Tips to Get Your Charlotte Home Sold Quicker
- Charlotte Home Sellers – You Should NOT Have to Pay for Marketing Your Home UP FRONT!
- Safety Tips for Charlotte Home Sellers
- Charlotte Home Seller Tips – Marketing Mistakes to Avoid
- Charlotte Home Seller Tips – Five Updates to Get Your Charlotte Home SOLD!
- Charlotte NC Home Seller Tips | Spectacular vs. Blah – Guess Which SELLS?!
- Pricing Your Home for Sale, Myth vs. Reality
- Selling Your Charlotte Home – Leave the Emotions Out of the Equation
- Charlotte Home Seller Tips – Redefine Your Market Value
- Charlotte Home Seller Tips – Do Your Research
- Charlotte Home Seller Tips – Remodeling Tips | Ways to Save You Money
- Charlotte Home Seller Tips | Extend Your Selling Season
- Charlotte NC Home Seller Tips | It Only Takes ONE Offer
- 7 Painful Consequences of Overpricing Your Charlotte Home for Sale
- 3 Common Charlotte Home Seller Mistakes | A Buyers’ Perspective
- 5 Tips for Selling Your Home in Charlotte in 2013
- Charlotte Home Seller Tips | Why Buyers DON’T Want Fixer Uppers!
- Charlotte Home Seller Tips – How To Get Your Home Sold Quickly!
- Charlotte Home Seller Tips | 4 Things that Will Turn Home Buyers Away
- Charlotte Home Selling Tip – Exterior Photos Speak Volumes
- Top 10 List of Do’s and Don’ts When Listing Your Charlotte Home for Sale
- Charlotte Home Sellers | 10 Tips for an Accurate Appraisal
Thinking of selling your Charlotte home? Give us a call at (704) 491-3310 or email us at SavvyBroker@me.com. We’ll be happy to meet with you and evaluate your home to determine what will help it sell quickly and for the most money in this market.
© Debe Maxwell | Savvy + Company Real Estate | SavvyBroker@me.com | Charlotte Home Seller Guide | Top 10 Seller Mistakes in 2013 | If you’re thinking of selling your Charlotte home, ask Charlotte’s home team for guidance!